Reducing the cost of your auto insurance isn’t as difficult as you might expect. If you want to save money on insurance (and who doesn’t?), then qualifying for an auto insurance discount is the easiest way to do it.
Insurance companies offer many ways for consumers to save on their insurance costs, and if you have a good driver history, you may qualify for one or more discounts on your premium.
- Many insurance companies will give what’s known as “the good driver discount” to people who haven’t had been in any collisions or had any traffic violations for the past several years. Some companies will look back 3 years, while others will look back 5 years.
- If you take a licensed defensive driver’s course, you can sometimes qualify for a discount on your insurance premium.
- Depending on how much you drive, you may qualify for a discount. If your total mileage in a year is 10,000 miles or less, you could qualify for a reduced mileage discount. These are great for people who live and work in small towns.
Being a member of certain groups can also qualify you for an auto insurance premium discount.
- If you’re an EMT, a nurse, a first-responder, or a CPA, or an active member of the military, your auto insurance company may offer you a discount on your premium.
- Student status can sometimes qualify you for a discount as well. Students who are just starting college or are still in high school but made it on the honor roll are often offered lower insurance rates.
- If you’re 50 or older and you’ve passed a mature driver safety course, you could be eligible for a discount on your premium. This discount can be particularly helpful since auto insurance premiums tend to increase as a person ages.
These are just a few of the many types of auto insurance discounts that are frequently offered. If you think you may qualify, the first thing to do is contact your insurance agent and ask!